Drug Addiction. MCTD. Major Depression.


Sunday 4 January 2015

 Email from a reader:

"Does his parents know about this? Do you know why his drug addiction has got worse over the last few months?"

Ryan's family are aware of his addiction. The person I see who never really stop trying to make something happen, is his mother.

It is really sad to see his mother. It seems like she did not what to do. Or maybe she had plans, but did not quite sure how to proceed with it. It is not easy to help an addict to recover. Each time I look at her, I only see frustration and sadness on her face. She is, exhausted.

I think before his mother met me, she did not know how to help Ryan. She thought Ryan would get tired of getting caught and eventually give up his addiction on his own.

The way I approached Ryan's addiction is quite different. I tried to understand Ryan, and his family background, and the friends he hung out with. But the most important thing was to understand Ryan's feelings. Because I believe the way he felt, and the way he thought, were the things we needed to fix first before he could understand what he was doing would not do any good to him.

I have been with him for 10 months now. And I can see there are a lot of progress happened. I am actually quite happy with that. Because I know his addiction has been going on for like 10 years, so for him to improve a lot in less than 12 months is quite an achievement. And it makes me feel I am doing the right thing.

I work well with his mother in helping him to kick the addiction and recover. The tough part is to get his mother to understand about drugs and how it affects the body and brain. It is really hard to make her understand when she thinks she knows everything. For example, when I told her that Post Acute Withdrawals Syndrome can lasts from few weeks to few years, his mother could not take it. She said that is too long and she believes Ryan could get well in a week or two, which I know is not true. There were times when I explained to her the difference between meth and heroin, I could see his mother could not process new information.

However I see things are better now. Ryan's mother is now softer and more gentle towards him, and look more hopeful and patient. It is important to create positive energy around the person who is in recovery phase, and I am glad Ryan chose to try to understand his mother too.

Ryan is now back staying with his mother - the best place for him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Popular Posts